Wednesday 15th, Rowington Folk Club, The Fox & Vivian, 32 Clarendon Road, Leamington Spa CV32 4RZ (Click here for map).
Further information about the Folk Club can be found here
We will return to the Folk Club to perform the Christmas Mummers Play from Bishops Tachbrook on December 20th.
Traditional Warwickshire Christmas Mumming Plays
During December Coventry Mummers will once again perform the traditional plays from four Warwickshire villages. All are most welcome to come along and support the revival of these ancient plays. If you would like to take part in these plays or would like to host a visit from the Mummers - as it was done long ago - then please contact any of the persons below.
Friday 15th, Harborough Magna Mummers Play
- Provisional times and venues; will be confirmed on this page soon.
- 8:00 p.m. The Raven, Brinklow, CV23 0LN.
- 8:30 p.m. Golden Lion, Easenhall, CV23 0JA.
- 9:00 p.m. The Old Lion, Harborough Magna, CV23 0HQ.
- 9:30 p.m. Denbigh Arms, Monks Kirby, CV23 .
Harborough Magna is located north-west of Rugby and the play was collected by two members of the Coventry Mummers in 1978 from one Arthur Steet.
For further information contact Graham Hall Email him here
Sunday 17th, Newbold on Avon Mummers Play
- 10:30 a.m. Pantolf Place, Newbold on Avon, CV21 1HR.
- 11:00 a.m. Newbold Road, Newbold on Avon, CV21 1EF.
- 11:35 a.m. St Botolph's Church, Newbold on Avon, CV21 1HH.
- 12:10 p.m. Manor House Close, Newbold on Avon, CV21 1HB.
- 1.30 p.m. The Barley Mow, Main Street, Newbold on Avon, CV21 1HW.
Newbold on Avon, near Rugby, Warwickshire
Newbold on Avon is situated north of Rugby and the text for this play was published in 1899 in the journal of the folk lore society. Revived by the Coventry Mummers in 1976, the play has been performed every year since then at both private and public houses!
For further information contact Pete Willow on 07887 552896.
Wednesday 20th, Bishop's Tachbrook Mummers Play
- 10.00 p.m. The Fox & Vivian, Leamington, CV32 4RZ.
The village is situated to the South of Leamington Spa, the play was discovered by our founder member, Ron Shuttleworth, from the Carpenter collection. The collection was in America but had been collected by Carpenter from this country earlier in the twentieth century.
For further information contact John Setchell on 07925 365 472
Monday 26th, The Stoneleigh Mummers Play
- 10:15 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. Ashow, CV8 2LE.
- 11:00 a.m. Stoneleigh Close, CV8 3DE.
- 11:30 a.m. 'The Bank', CV8 3DA.
- 12 noon Church Lane, CV8 3DN.
- 12:45 p.m. Walkers Orchard, CV8 3JG.
- 1:15 p.m. Stoneleigh Village Club, CV8 3DH.
For further information contact Tim Chatham on 07875388135 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Stoneleigh village lies between Coventry and Leamington Spa on the B4109. The Stoneleigh Play was first published in 1926 by Mary Dormer Harris, a prominent local historian and former village resident. She collected the play from a man who played the part of the Doctor. Revived by the Coventry Mummers in 1975, this year marks the 42nd year of its revival.